What to Expect
Goshinkan-Ryu Ju Jitsu offers ongoing, ranked, Japanese Ju Jitsu training through our Adults Program (13 and older), Junior Shogun™ Program (8 - 12) and Little Samurai™ Program (5 - 7), and Mini Bushi™ Program (3 -5).
We also offer short training programs, courses, and Seminars such as Women's Self Defense, The Persuader Key Holder, Nerve-Centre Pressure-Point Control Tactics, Escort, and Control Tactics, Basic Self Defense, Advanced Self Defense and much more.
Each class is different and engaging, and it does not matter what size you are or what kind of shape you are in. Everything is hands-on. Students are strongly encouraged to switch partners regularly and learn the technique(s) of people of different sizes and shapes.
Goshinkan Ju Jitsu is not for everyone, but those who are accepted love it! The following is a typical hour and a half Adult class.
- OpenBenefit from tradition. During our regular training (ranked) sessions each class begins with a formal, traditional Japanese opening.
- WarmUpAfter the formal opening of each session the Sensei (instructor), or Senpai (highest-ranked student), will lead a warm-up comprised of light calisthenics and stretching, followed by a variety of martial arts related drills such as Breakfalls, Stances and Movement, Rolls, Striking and Movement, Grappling etc.
- LearnAlthough each class varies to some degree, the next part of the class is lead by the Sensei and illustrates a technique or variation or series from the curriculum.
- PracticeThe next part of class varies from randori (free-style practice / light sparring); to work on the curriculum in preparation for grading; to high-stress sparing drills; to core conditioning drills and more.
- CloseFocused self-discipline. Class comes to a formal close, similar to the opening, after 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Curious? Grab some sweatpants and a t-shirt, come down and try a class.
We hand pick our students! Goshinkan Ju Jitsu is not like a gym, we reserve the right to refuse to teach anyone. After all, Goshinkan Ju Jitsu is a serious art requiring serious people who want to learn our traditions and the pure art of Goshinkan-Ryu Ju Jitsu.
The Goshinkan Hombu Dojo (Main School) is located in Red Deer, Alberta and is operated by Shihan Kevin Lintott Renshi (6th Dan), Okuden Menkyo Goshinkan-Ryu Ju Jitsu; Headmaster of Goshinkan-Ryu style of Ju Jitsu; President Alberta Ju-Jitsu Association.
Enthusiastic students all across Alberta enjoy learning in GMA Dojo's from Red Deer; Edmonton; Grande Prairie; Calgary to Okotoks.
Our Dojos Red Deer; Calgary to Okotoks have 2 inch thick Swain style mats made by Dollamur these are by far the best Ju Jitsu mats for Nage Waza (throwing techniques). The Red Deer and Okotoks Dojo also have Olympic sprung floors underneath the Dollamur surface.